We made our first batch of Elderberry syrup today! This awesome concoction is used to fight colds and flus, boosts our immune systems and super high in vitamin C — what are you making?
Classic Elderberry Syrup Recipe
Recommended use: 1tbsp, 4x daily
* 4 cups cold water
* 2 cups dried Elder berries (or 1 ½ cups Elder berries and ½ cup Elder flowers)
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 tsp ginger root
* ½ tsp cloves [my remark: tespoon] my remark;tsp=TEASPO0N
* 1 cup raw, local honey (or organic agave syrup for a vegan recipe)
*1 cup vodka or brandy (optional)
1. Combine the berries and herbs with cold water in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and allow herbs to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and mash the berries in the pot.
4. Strain the berries and herbs through cheesecloth and squeeze out liquid.
5. Add honey and gently heat mixture for a few minutes. Do not boil!
6. Turn off heat and let cool slightly.
7. If using, add alcohol and stir until well combined.